Name: Nickia D.
1. I have lived in Portland for a little over 3 years now. Originally from Kansas.
2. The thing I love most about Portland is that the culture of this city provides you the freedom to be whomever you want to be…so long as you are not causing harm to others.
3. The median rent for a one bedroom apartment just hit a baffling $1400/month…not to mention the Wapato jail sitting unused for 12 years in North Portland. I can only imagine the many benefits this facility could bring to the community if it could be approved as a homeless shelter/rehabilitation center. I would say one of the most pressing issues for Portland at the moment is clean, affordable housing for the city’s inhabitants.
4. The words that I live by come from the author Paolo Coelho: “We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It’s one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it’s another to think that yours is the only path.”
Photo courtesy of Nickia D
* Interview originally posted on womenpdx tumblr.